(For previous news pages click   2009  2010  2011  2012)


…….Ooops! Things don’t always go to plan!

Oops! 1Oops! 2Oops! 3


     Oops! 5

Oops! 6Oops! 7

Oops! 8


Does my bum look big … ?

(The editor had full permission to print this photo!)

Somebody was lucky!

We would like to ask members of the public to report anything suspicious to our non-emergency number 0845 090 1234

so that an incident can be created and any enquiries can be followed up, or

contact Melanie Campbell on the number below:

PC 695 Melanie Campbell

Horsewatch Co-ordinator at Gloucestershire Constabulary Gloucester South Police Station - (Quedgeley)


Phone: 0845 090 1234 ext 4182




Christmas 2013!

Rules regarding Novice to Open Driver

A question was asked about when does a novice driver become an open driver?  This is what the latest rules state:

2.4.8 OPEN:

Competitors who have competed in Open or Intermediate classes in BHDTA national horse driving trials competitions or open classes in IHDT competitions

or who have finished in the top 50% of competitors in a Novice class at a British Indoor Horse Driving Trials Final in either of the previous two seasons.

Note that all multiples classes are considered open classes, excepting only multiples in ‘club’ (introductory) classes where these are run at IHDT events.

Fun Training Day at Tan House Farm - 6 October 2013

Janet Macdonald kindly welcomed club members to a Fun Day at Tanhouse Farm near Berkeley on a glorious warm day at the beginning of October. A small group of drivers enjoyed a welcome opportunity to practise the new season's dressage test and an inviting cones course which also incorporated an obstacle.

It was very useful indeed to have the chance to drive the test and cones/obstacle course as many times as one wanted. Felicity and Jane had even been persuaded to try their hand at judging dressage for fun and it was very helpful to have their comments.

The cones and obstacle caused some amusement as horses (and drivers!) tended to grow more excited and confident with each round, the cautious accuracy of the first attempt going by the board in some cases. A band of cheerful stewards patiently did timings and replacement of knockdowns. After a couple of hours, everyone enjoyed their picnic lunch by the lorries in the sunshine. It was good to have a
chat about the summer season and the winter one to come.

From the Secretary

The drive around Badminton Park on 30 June, was fabulous . Seven turnouts set off from John and Wendy Weaver's home and although a bit misty, dull and rather cold to start with, it was ideal for the horses, as the breeze and cooler condition kept the flies away. We had two routes of 7 or 10 miles to choose from and John's route markers were excellent, so no chance of getting lost. After the drive, it warmed up and we all enjoyed our picnic lunches in their very pretty garden. Huge thanks to John and Wendy for their hospitality and for organizing this rather special drive. We are also so grateful to the stewards who had a fairly boring job of waiting for us to see us safely across the few road crossings, and opening gates for us (such hassle -free driving - we felt very spoilt)!

The last of the Summer evening events on 10 July was enjoyed by 15 turnouts on a very warm summer evening (at last!) The dressage test was BC Novice 100 in the full arena and for those of us who suffer from failing memories, it was a relief that on this occasion we were allowed to have help from our grooms or a reader if necessary! Everyone seemed to enjoy the bigger arena and longer cones course of 20 gates. As a club we are very fortunate to have our base at Cricklands, and have such excellent instructors within the club.

We owe huge thanks to James for organizing a super programme for the two day Summer Camp, 15 & 16 July. Training was divided between James (obstacles), Tony Clarke (dressage), Janet Macdonald (cones) and Sandra Fisher (assisting Tony and judging). On the second afternoon we had a mini competition and a review of our driving. I got rather sun-burned despite factor 50, and one back wheel of my carriage decided to cease up on the second day, and there was a dreadful noise coming from it, so we couldn't do much! The trainers kept in such good humour and were very encouraging and helpful, despite the searing heat. In the evening, there were a few BBQs on the go and plenty of food. I left the festivities at 9pm to go home to my bed, but I gather things went on for another couple of hours or so. There appeared to be no hang - overs the next morning with everyone up when I got there before 8am. It was such a good idea of Sue's to hold a training camp, and those who attended really hope it can be repeated again next year.

The day of Chepstow Show, 10 August, was warm, sunny with a gentle breeze, just perfect. We were invited to put on a demonstration of carriage driving, which we had done in previous years. Volunteers taking part were, Maggie Martin, Angela Cherrington, Tony Clark and John Williams with singles, Janet Macdonald with her pair, Ainslie Turner with her tandem and we were fortunate to also have Julie Wedgbury with her great Shetlands team who came all the way from Bridgnorth to take part. Julie came with one groom and needed another, so I volunteered! I have never been so fast or had to hang on so tightly. Julie and her ponies are fearless and are not three times champions for nothing, they were stunning! I had a blast. The next day muscles I obviously hadn't used before were rather sore! Thanks to all those taking part and to those helping.

The one-day event at Tan House Farm at Berkeley on 24th August had 16 entries. Always well organised and a friendly welcome by the Macdonald family, and well worth coming for the lovely savouries and cakes for everyone at the prize giving! The weather was kind, the five obstacles were open and flowing and the cones of a mile and 26 pairs was challenging! Janet being the only double clear! A really super event.

Many thanks to Angela Cherrington who organized a super Fun/Training day on 22 September and to John and Wendy Weaver who hosted the event.

Safe driving … Erica

Club Camp 15th and 16th July 2013

"We had a wonderful time! This was Amelia and Cosmo's second go at driving trials. We would like to thank all the trainers for their patience and encouragement as we were quite in at the deep end but by the end felt we could almost throw away the water wings and still manage to stay afloat. For me, this was my first time on the back step…..I will happily say that I would now do it again. The BBQ was something to
. Nichola.

"Camp was a great experience, I enjoyed every minute. I learnt a new communication with my wonderful little pony …both pleasing and exciting". Angela.

"Amazing! Beauty and I sometimes get in a bit of a pickle and I can unwittingly upset her from time to time. Following obstacles coaching, we both listened hard to James' instructions so it was lovely to see a surprised and silent James when we completed the obstacle course on Tuesday afternoon. It made my (and Beauty's) day!!! Thank you all for a great time". Maggie.

These comments were made by some of those who came to FoDDTG's first camp at Cricklands. I myself was one of the ten drivers who
arrived to set up camp and enjoy two days of training from three patient and specialist instructors. What follows is an account of my own experience at camp, which I hope will give a flavour of what a fantastic two days it was . I would not have missed it for anything.

Each driver was sent their own personal timetable in advance, as James Broome had spent some painstaking hours working out how to give
everyone their one to one lesson with Tony Clarke in the dressage arena, Janet Macdonald on the cones course and James in an obstacle.
With thirty 45 minute sessions to schedule in a sensible way that was quite a feat.

In view of the heat wave conditions, I confess I was pleased to have the first slot on Monday morning starting with Tony at 9am. I was rather nervous but driving out on to the fields of Cricklands on such a glorious morning, Zara, my backstepper, observed that no one could be having a better Monday morning! We chose to work in the big arena, where Macduff feels so much happier and spent an intensive 45 minutes working on how I hold and use my hands and working on the correct bend and into the outside rein. There is work to be done!

Our cones session with Janet followed on immediately which was good as the horse was now beautifully warmed up. Janet had placed
coloured discs on the ground a small set distance after each pair of cones to emphasise to drivers not to turn too soon after passing through
cones thereby knocking one of those balls off. Again the theme was very much working into the turn with correct bend and allowing the horse
to do his job without undue interference from the driver!

We now had a couple of hours' break, which was welcome, both because we all needed a drink and because of danger of brain overload for me. James' lesson at the obstacle had two aspects for us. Firstly, he made suggestions about walking obstacles in general terms and then watched us drive an open, inviting figure of eight through and around the obstacle. (By the by, apparently each driver concocted their own version of a figure of eight in spite of James' detailed instructions). I could feel Macduff relax and gain confidence doing this exercise and he began to move much more freely. Then, as a surprise, the theme of working the horse into the outside rein was mentioned. If I ever needed proof that all three phases of horse driving trials, inside or out, are closely inter -related it was there plain on this Monday morning.

After lunch, we braved the sun and heat again, and watched one or two other "students" having their lessons. I found this very interesting as
although each turnout is so individual there is also much common ground. Without having to concentrate on my own driving, I found that
these extra sessions as a spectator, helped me fix the principles more firmly in my head. To complete our driving day, we harnessed Macduff up again and Zara enjoyed driving him in the dressage arena and round the fields. I shall have to be careful here otherwise I might lose my horse!

After the luxury of a shower, everyone got the barbeques going and we all had a real feast. The evening was warm, dry and still giving perfect
conditions for a summer social gathering. It was special that David and Liz Broome joined us for a while, as did the Stacey family who had come from the other side of the river. Long after dark we crawled into our tents to sleep well, not even finding the neighbour's peacocks too disturbing.

During the morning we learnt that, Sue Johnson had had to withdraw from the rest of the day's driving as Toby, her cob, had suffered bruising when he slipped over the previous day. Luckily, both Sue and her backstepper Sue were unharmed.

Once instruction was finished for the morning, Janet set up her cones course for the mini -event in the afternoon. She then walked it with us all and I found this enormously useful. She emphasised the importance of making good turns. James then asked us all to walk the obstacle he
had set, then to decide and learn our chosen route. This was followed by a discussion on the possible routes which led Zara and me to question the route we had chosen. We decided to stick with it as it ticked the boxes for our particular horse and his needs. (To our delight it drove smoothly and fast for us.)

Our patient hard-working instructors then put us all through our paces by running a three- phase mini -event. After completing each phase, they gave us feedback on our performance, which was very valuable. Amazingly, they were all still enthusiastic in spite of the heat. Proceedings were rounded off with a presentation of rosettes in the lorry field.

I found this Club Camp a great learning experience. I think the format of the two day training was excellent. It was a privilege to receive individual coaching from three instructors who have such a wealth of knowledge and experience. It was also a lot of fun. Sincere thanks are due to the Broome family for welcoming us to their showground and top-class facilities, to Sue Johnson whose brain -child it was and who worked hard to gather together the drivers and coaches to make it viable and to Tony Clarke, Janet Macdonald and James Broome who left their own horses at home to come and endure two such long hot days of hard work, sharing their knowledge and experience with us all.

"I really enjoyed working with all the different turnouts. It was so interesting to see the different challenges that people face and the different
approaches needed to deal with them. I also really enjoyed the BBQ!!"

Elizabeth Pilkington

Badminton Park 30 June 2013




John Weaver very kindly arranged a drive through Badminton Park for club members on Sunday 30th June 2013. He had marked out a lovely route for us through the woods and along grassy rides. The shorter route was about seven miles long. Those drivers who opted to drive an extra loop of a further three miles were rewarded with a close-up view of Badminton House and the chance to drive over ground frequented by the "greats" at Badminton Horse Trials.

I don't think Macduff was particularly impressed by this. The early morning was surprisingly cool and misty at Beeches Lane Farm where we parked and unloaded. Zara and I were glad of jackets which we had packed as an afterthought. We all went into John and Wendy's vast porch room where John gave us a briefing over coffee and biscuits, his parting comment being that he hoped the sheep in the park would not have knocked over his route arrows! This prompted universal requests for a helpful phone number in case anyone lost their way.

Very soon we were all away, having been started at five minute intervals. John had mown a track down the edges of the fields, to lead us down to the crossing over the main road into the park. Simon and Lucy had the unenviable task of helping us cross the road safely. Immediately, we were then off-road and enjoying the immense pleasure of driving a happy horse through gorgeous surroundings. The going was perfect and muddy enough in places to get the carriage dirty. Stewards were stationed at lane crossings and gates so we felt very well looked after.

I chose to do the longer route and we did indeed enjoy a wonderful view of most of the area used for the Horse Trials. It was interesting to see the site of the big arena and trade-stands and of course some of the enormous cross- country jumps. Around here, however, Macduff told me that it was an error of judgement on my part to have come such a long way, so we made our way back to the farm rather steadily. By the time we had finished and unharnessed the sun had come out so whilst the horses grazed contently on John's lawn - like field, we gathered together to enjoy our picnics and more tea and coffee provided by John and Wendy.

It was a very special privilege to be able to drive in Badminton Park and we owe John and Wendy many thanks for making it possible and for their warm welcome to Beeches Lane Farm. Appreciative thanks also are due to the cheerful, helpful stewards.

Elizabeth Pilkington





Sarah Thomas is Penguin's Wayfarer and has travelled from Cumbria all summer long. She visited Erica and here are her notes. The web site to visit is The Wayfarer

Greenway officially opened!

A crowd gathers to celebrate the official opening of the Forest of Dean Greenways Project. Holding the ribbon are (left) Alan Myatt, Town Crier and (right) Erice Rye, FODHR&CDA committee member. Also pictured (back right) is Sue Johnson with horse Toby.

New Gloucestershire Horse Trails Launched

An impressive new network of horse riding trails across the Forest of Dean was officially opened on Thursday 22nd August by representatives of the British Horse Society and the many local agencies who have contributed to its successful development.

These routes, called the Forest of Dean Greenways, link up new bridleways, existing Public Rights of Way, Forestry Commission tracks and quiet country lanes to form a series of inter-connected circuits for horse riders, leisure cyclists and walkers and, where possible, carriage drivers.

Four linked Greenway circuits have been created, extending from Dymock in the north of the district to Blakeney and Yorkley in the south, and they connect up with many local towns, villages and rural businesses as well as with accommodation providers, tourist attractions and equestrian centres in order to maximise the project’s benefit to the local economy.

The four Greenway routes comprise:

The most southerly, and the longest section of this network, the Blakeney Greenway and Carriage Driving Circuit, is a spectacular twelve and a half mile long figure of eight horse riding and carriage driving route which is almost entirely off-road and is also suitable for para-carriage drivers.

This project has been undertaken by the Forest of Dean and District Horse Riders’ and Carriage Drivers’ Association (, a group of local people who set out as far back as 2005 to improve the fragmented Higher Rights of Way network in the Forest of Dean district and to secure greater access to the Gloucestershire countryside. It is the only project of its kind in the UK to have been delivered by a voluntary organisation.

Jenny Carling, Chair of the Forest of Dean and District Horse Riders’ and Carriage Drivers’ Association, commented “My first task is to thank the Forest of Dean Local Action Group and the Gloucestershire Environmental Trust who provided the grant aid that enabled this project to be taken forward. We are also indebted to the staff of the Forestry Commission and the Gloucestershire County Council’s Public Rights of Way team who have supported us every step of the way. Our ambition was to secure better access to the beautiful countryside of the Forest of Dean and we therefore invite local residents and visitors to the district to use our website – – to find out more about these routes and then experience them for themselves.”

The project was officially launched at the start of the Blakeney Greenway and Carriage Driving Circuit by Heather Clatworthy, Senior Executive, Access and Rights of Way Department at the British Horse Society.

Further Information




From the Secretary:

The first evening event on 3rd April went well, although bitterly cold.

The summer event scheduled for 15th May, nearly didn't take place as on the day before, one month's rain fell and the ground was looking very soggy. However, we are so fortunate to run our events at Cricklands, as James decided we could use four of the smaller arenas so the competition went ahead. On the evening the weather was gorgeous - sunny, blue skies and white fluffy clouds - perfect - what a difference from the day before! I was nursing a migraine so wasn't at my best and messed up the dressage by taking a wrong route - I really didn't know what I was doing! However, Kathy and I were pleased with Robbie, but on this occasion I was quite happy when we had finished and Kathy drove us home.

The first competitor was off and it started to rain heavily and by the time that the last competitor finished it abated! Although I could only just see through my glasses because of the rain, we had great fun with Robbie, at the evening event at Crickland on 14th June.
We were clear in the cones (still a bit too slow though) and had really good runs in the obstacles, one being the water. I then had the great pleasure of back-stepping for Ainslie with Dottie. Great fun and what a little power-house the pony is! This was her first attempt at going through water, she had a good look then went through. I had to hang on around the obstacles as she is very quick and so very willing, obviously enjoying herself and had great trust in Ainslie. Big smiles from two very proud owners on this day! Mental note for next event though - whatever the weather is like before leaving home make sure the waterproofs are in the car, as I was soaked through!

Unfortunately, no photos of this event, except the above (taken by Ainslie on a borrowed camera), as my long-suffering husband didn't want to get wet and stayed at home (can't blame him!).

Poor John Weaver and Jane Hendy didn't get to the event as John's vehicle decided to die (really die) on route. A horrid experience for them, but they returned home safely! What a day that was!

Sue Johnson has a good number of people signed up for the training camp, which is taking place on the 15th and 16th July

Due to popular demand, we have once again been asked to put on a demonstration of carriage driving at the Chepstow Show on 10th August at the Racecourse. If you would like to help or take part, please let James know as soon as possible. The demonstration usually lasts for about 40 minutes and is a lot of fun.

Also, another very popular outing is the ODE at Janet Macdonald's farm on the 25th August. Entry forms were included with the last newsletter, but you can obtain further copies from Jane Perkins by email: Your entries should to sent to Jane in good time for the event; her telephone number is 01278 732555.


We SO appreciate what our stewards do to enable us to have such fun!

With bigger classes they have a long day, often in awful weather.

If you are a competitor and would be happy to do your round in the morning, then have a spell at stewarding in the afternoon, this would be very helpful and give some of the stewards a break.

If you would like to help, please talk to Felicity to arrange.




Team Toby goes to Windsor

Who would have believed it, Team Toby driving around the magnificent Crown Estate, not just on a pleasure drive but actually doing a two-day event there? Well that is what happened on the weekend of 13/14 April. I have to say I was very nervous about entering as I thought it might be too much for me but I needed to get my competency card signed in time for the Para Selection Event, so I had no choice. I needn't have worried so much as the Windsor Equestrian club were so friendly and helpful.

We would be staying under canvas and the weather was not going to be kind to us as the heavens opened and did its best to try and drown us every night. Poor Toby was going to be the one who was really roughing it as he would not have a stable for the night and would have to stay out in the elements in a small electric fencing paddock, but he was well rugged up so he was ok.

I walked the dressage test a few times to get it in my head when we arrived on the Friday but the cones would not be set up until the next day, after we had finished our Precision and Paces. We were second to do our P&P on the Saturday morning at 0908hrs so we were up with the larks to ensure Toby was fed early and I had another chance to walk the test. The new rules of not having to have a standing presentation were not going to stop us looking our best, but they were very welcome considering the mud we had to drive through to get to the dressage arena. The stewards were so friendly and welcoming.

Following the P&P we walked the most wonderful cones course. It was designed by the same person who had built the indoor championships course at Keysoe the previous weekend, where we had 3 balls down. The stewards explained that we needed to enter the arena and salute the judges before we started the course. We improved this time as we only had one down and that was with the help of my hat which blew off in the wind. It was a really welcoming course that was open and flowing and a joy to drive.

When Toby had been untacked and rugged up it was time to walk the obstacle course. The only problem was that having trouble walking very far and not knowing the area at all we were a little stuck as to how we were going to do this. Luckily our knight in shining armour came to our rescue in the guise of Mr Peter Bridson, the Chairman of the club. He kindly drove us two Para equestrian drivers and our grooms around the course explaining where we had to take care due to the slippery conditions. Due to the weather most of the course was on the roads in the park so Peter not only showed us the way but gave us a very interesting guided tour as well, pointing out items of interest.

Saturday night we were in bed very early as the rain really was slinging it down so it was pointless thinking about doing anything else. It did mean we were fresh for the morning and our early start. Due to so much road work we did not have to put studs in which would save us time and energy. Amazingly it stopped raining. Toby was raring to go and I kept telling him to calm down or he would burn up all his energy before the end of the course.

The first kilometre he did 30 seconds quicker than the minimum time. This he kept up for the entire marathon. I was very pleased as it was a good guide on how fit he is, mind you, being on roads instead of muddy tracks it made it a lot easier for him. The walk section has always been very hard for Toby as he prefers to plod rather than walk so the new rules of no walk section just a transfer section was much better for us. His heart rate was checked by the vet at the Halt and he was fine so more smiles on my face. The only problem we had was when Toby saw the pony in front of us leaving on Section E. He nearly pulled my arms off as he wanted to chase after them. I will be very glad when I get my looped reins as they should give me more control; either that or he will not be given any more haylage!

We were able to enjoy the rest of the drive and the obstacles and we went clear. Result = A great weekend, with wonderful people and a very happy Team Toby. We came first in our class...but don't be impressed, we were the only competitors in the Pre Novice Horse class. The most important thing was we were not eliminated so we got our second block of signatures on our competency card. Just one more to get now!
So if anyone is thinking about having a go at a two-day event I can highly recommend the Windsor Equestrian Club.

Sue Johnson

Team Toby goes to Keysoe

Last year we qualified but a heart attack prevented me going to the Indoor Driving Championships. This year we qualified again and were determined to get there.

The cold weather was not going to put us off even though there was a pile of snow by our tent!!! Extra blankets were packed and some Baileys to go in our hot chocolate as a night cap. To say we had a fantastic time is an understatement.

It was a big learning curve competing at this level. We now know that it is not a good idea to give Toby haylage before his dressage test as he
was too hyperactive and would not stand still at the halt. We live and learn! I was chuffed that I actually remembered the test as I do suffer
with CRAFT moments (Can't Remember A Flipping Thing). I don't know whether it is my age or my MS but either way my memory is very poor so I have been working on it by doing some brain training.

Next we had to do the cones. I had watched some horses having problems with the bridge and refusing to go over it, but I didn't need to worry with Toby. He was such a star and went straight over it without any hesitation. Sadly due to driver error I had three balls down but Toby did his best for me so I was very happy.

Saturday evening was a fun night watching the area teams compete. They had to drive a course then the back stepper had to get off and ride the course in the quickest time possible. Sarah Howe was commentating which was hysterical as I kept filling her glass with champagne. It was a late night as we weren't able to walk our obstacle course until after the team event had finished.

Sunday morning came around too quickly. We weren't on until 1220 but we had to walk the course before 0830 when the first competitor started. Obstacle 1, I got lost in but managed to find my way around in a slow time. Obstacle 2 was successful and Toby really tanked on helped by his supporters screaming for him. Then we had to go outside and wait for everyone else to complete the first two obstacles. Finally we were in again and Toby galloped up the long side of the arena. He really was enjoying the atmosphere. I managed to get obstacle 3 correct. We didn't take the shortest of routes but kept to the faster flowing ways around and Toby really enjoyed it. Then…oh dear…driver error on the last obstacle when I missed gate E. Annoyed with myself …Yes.

But we still had a fantastic time and Toby was a star. The only down side to the event was the dog called Larry who every morning
at 0600hrs would come and relieve himself on our tent (right where our heads where!) I love dogs but when it says that dogs should be on a lead at all times I wish people would obey this. We never did find out who owned this Doberman type dog as when Sue saw the dog the owner ran off pretty damn quick!

A big thank you to Team Toby's supporters especially John and Ainslie and family for all their encouragement.

Sue Johnson

From the Secretary

Another good turnout for the IHDT event on 5th January, and it didn't rain! No photos of this event unfortunately, as the camera was not set correctly and all the photos I took came out blurred, which was maddening!

This event followed an excellent training day on the Saturday and our thanks must go to Tony (dressage), Janet (cones) and James (Obstacles) who took the sessions, and to Sue for organizing it. There was excellent feedback from the participants. I certainly learnt a lot. I managed to do two clear cones rounds; only wish I could do that when competing! As it was a practice/training session, I thought I would try to nip through the narrow gaps that James had cunningly put in the obstacles, but after hitting them a couple of times, I decided I should keep to the longer more flowing routes for the time being! It was a full-on weekend and both Robbie and I needed a good rest on Monday!

The IHDT event on 3rd February had a good turnout again, although the weather was cold, it didn't rain! Unfortunately, I couldn't get there with Robbie because my trailer was parked in the corner of a paddock surrounded by liquid mud! The paddock is usually firm and dry but there was no chance of getting out onto the road or back in. However, still very enjoyable to watch and help, and this time, to take photos on the correct setting! Many thanks to Angela Cherrington for doing the results in Marilyn's absence.



It was lovely to see the very popular little pony Leo back in action, after a short break. Always a joy to watch Ainslie and Sarah thoroughly enjoying themselves with huge smiles on their faces. Leo's stable mate Dottie is proving to be a little up and coming star too.




The Bring a Dish and Share Supper which had to be postponed in January due to the very heavy snow which fell on the allotted day, went ahead on the 22nd February. It was great fun, with fabulous food as in previous years and entertainment was provided by some very talented members of the club - thank you to Angela, Sue, Simon, James and Paul for making us smile. The venue was perfect and our thanks must go to the Broome family for the use of the venue and especially to Liz Broome who prepared the room so beautifully. Thank you also to those who bought gifts - we raised 50 towards club funds.

Rather a cold day at the IHDTA Event on 3rd March, but thankfully, dry. The famous bridge was part of the cones course and a few had not seen this before, including Robbie. He stopped dead, but after having a good look cautiously walked over, so 'team Robbie' were very happy! We were very grateful to the kind stewards who allowed us to try the bridge again after our turn which then resulted in Robbie happily trotting over.



When the fog lifted, we had blue sky and sun for the first IHDT event of the season at Cricklands. The heavy rain of the past months made the dressage arena fairly soggy and deep in places but the main arena was perfect. A very good entry of 27, with some new faces.

We do not have a professional photographer any more, so I struggle to get pictures for this newsletter and website, and rely on kind people sending me photos and I take a few when I can. However, this does mean I miss getting pictures of every club member as I am busy competing myself! If you have photos you would like to share, I would really appreciate it if you would email them to me. Many thanks.

Apart from the committee (who were all voted to stand for another year), we were very pleased that five other club members also attended the AGM on 13th November 2012 and we thank them for making the effort to attend. If any one would like to receive a copy of the Minutes, please contact me and I will email a copy to you.

Again, the weather for the second IHDT event at Cricklands was glorious; we were so lucky as it rained up to the day and poured the day after and then kept raining! An entry of 30 drivers was the best yet. Because the 'usual' arena used for the dressage test, had succumbed to the very prolonged wet weather, all three phases were held in the main arena. This seemed to go down well with competitors and with careful scheduling and controlling the entry and exit of the arena things were kept flowing nicely.



LogoForest of Dean Drivings Trials Group


Home Page

Diary Dates

Photo Gallery

Event Reports

For Sale and Wanted

Safety Corner



Contact Us


Fact and Fiction